Location: Kansas City, MO
Pay: $30,000.00 - $40,000.00 /Year
Title: Production Chemist
Department: Research and Development
Job Function: Synthesize chemical intermediates using documented protocols in a pilot plant environment, implement synthetic route improvements devised by PhD chemists and perform analytical characterization using LCMS (liquid chromatography / mass spectrometry) and NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy).
Reports To: Chemistry Manager
1. Synthesize chemical intermediates on pilot plant scale (200 L, 400 L, 800 L reactors).
2. Implement synthetic modifications that have been designed in collaboration with the chemistry team.
3. Utilize HPLC, LCMS and NMR to monitor chemical reactions and characterize purity.
4. Follow Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) guidelines; maintain legible and accurate records.
5. Communicate reaction and test results to appropriate personnel.
6. Evaluate new equipment and/or techniques to best improve analytical and synthetic methods.
7. Assist in the analytical lab with quality control LCMS assays as needed.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Education: BS degree in Chemistry or related field.
Experience: 1-2 years hands-on experience in pilot scale environment. Demonstrated proficiency with HPLC, GCMS, LCMS, NMR spectroscopy.
Qualifications: Strong analytical, reasoning, and communication skills. Self motivated with a strong work ethic. Ability to work both independently and in a team setting. Working knowledge of computer and work processing / spreadsheet programs. Able to stand 30% of the day, lift up to 30 pounds, perceive and accurately record experimental observations.