Director, Engineering and Maintenance
Location: Springfield, MO
Director, Engineering and Maintenance, Springfield, MO
AMRI provides global contract research and manufacturing services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. As the Engineering and Maintenance Director you will be responsible for providing leadership of the Project Engineering, Process Engineering, Utility Systems, Infrastructure, Automation, Facilities and Maintenance functions at Springfield site. In this position you will direct and lead a team who support a 24 x 7 Bulk Pharmaceutical development and manufacturing facility. As a member of the site Senior Leadership Team, you will report directly to the Site Head and have responsibility of capital budget, project execution and process engineering activities.
In this role, you will;
- Ensuring the full compliance to OSHA and cGMP regulations at all times and working in concert with a cross functional team to ensure that Engineering, Maintenance and Facilities projects and programs meet the required standards of the internal and external customers.
- Organizing, managing, developing and implementing project plans, construction projects, designs, assembly of equipment, processes, and systems to ensure timely project completion, in compliance with regulatory agency requirements, internal company standards and current industry practices.
- Recruit top talent with every hiring opportunity and motivate/develop members of the department to be key leaders within the organization. Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and team can excel and continuously improve.
- Actively influence and participate in the site leadership team and establish effective cross-functional leadership relationships and presence.
- Drive implementation of engineering, maintenance and facilities projects within budgets and timelines.
- Plan investments in Plant/Personnel/Equipment (PPE) and oversee the departmental budget and headcount.
- Develop and regularly update the strategic capital improvement plan including site master plan.
- Maximize the success rate for production operations by instituting programs to minimize mechanical failure and enhance equipment performance. Establish maintenance KPIs like MTTR, MTBF etc.
- Direct responsibility for capital projects, as well as the site’s capital and expense budgets, cost control, project schedules, and direct/indirect expenses.
- Support procurement strategy, equipment expediting/projects and FAT/SAT/IOQ/PQ.
- Construction Management in compliance with all applicable safety, regulatory and legal requirement.
- Ensure that appropriate training of all personnel for equipment, process and facility safety and operations is maintained and up-to-date.
- Maintain effectiveness of the Quality System components relevant to this position.
- Maintain regulatory compliance thru audits, validation, change management, risk assessments, qualified drawings, corrective action plans, FMEA, and deviation support.
- Utilize and promote Operational Excellence and continuous improvement
- Provide oversight and technical expertise during the development of new strategic manufacturing platforms and products and implementation of new API processing technologies.
- Develop budget proposals. Control charges against approved budget and monitor/report expenditures.
- Manage the training, development and succession planning for the direct reports.
- Has operational responsibility/accountability for site maintenance activities including the repair, maintenance and installation of equipment and the maintenance of buildings, grounds, utility systems with associated infrastructure.
Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of work product.
Reviews new product plans, and discusses equipment needs, and modifications with engineering staff.
Develops/implements preventive maintenance program in conjunction with engineering, maintenance staff, and supervisors to improve production uptime.
Manages spare parts inventory to balance cost control with operational reliability.
- Bachelors degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- A Minimum of 10 years related experience in a Chemical or API manufacturing environment.
- Advanced (MS or MBA) degree, P.E. is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, analytical skills, negotiation skills, problem solving skills, report writing, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and understand technical specifications and terminology.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, and in particular, EXCEL.
- Proficiency in applications software, particularly CMMS systems, with SAP knowledge preferred.
- The ability to internalize a variety of information, facts, and forecast a business impact.
- Proven track record in leading organizational change.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of cGMP, safety and safety regulations (e.g. OSHA).
All interested applicants must apply online. AMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity and inclusiveness. Minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity are encouraged to apply.
Shift: Standard 8