Embryo Laboratory Assistant
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Pay: $14.00 - $16.00 /Hour
Name: Joy Lengyel
Laboratory Assistant – Sioux Falls, SD
Kelly Scientific Resources is currently seeking a Lab Assistant for one of our top clients in Sioux Falls, SD. This is a direct hire opportunity with a growing company that is establishing a new facility in Sioux Falls. This position does require flexibility in hours – shifts rotate weekly between 8am-5pm and 3am-12pm (unless you prefer to work only the early shift!) There will be a required 6-week training period starting mid-July in Wisconsin.
As a Lab Assistant placed with Kelly Scientific Resources, you will assist Embryo Technicians in the day-to-day activities of all bovine lab procedures. The Embryo Lab Assistant will be required to work closely with Embryo Technicians to further learn and develop technical skills. The Embryo Lab Assistant will be required to provide secondary support to the Lab Prep Technicians.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all materials and supplies are present to conduct the routine IVF procedures.
- Assist in preparation of materials IVF, IVC culture plates, oocyte maturation tubes, and embryo media, loading of embryos for embryo transfer, semen inventory, data entry and generation of routine laboratory report.
- Assist in the calibration and maintenance of key lab equipment such as incubators, autoclave, lab hoods, centrifuge, nitrogen tanks and microscopes.
- Assist in daily routine lab procedures.
- Assist with preparation of supplies and documents necessary for the loading of embryos for embryo transfer procedures.
- Under the direction of the Embryo Techs, transcribe animal identification number and embryo classification number, and ensure embryo transfer sheaths are labeled correctly.
- Complete simple reports to be used by lab and field service teams. Ensure simple reports and corresponding embryos are sent to field service team each day.
- Prepare IVF and embryo culture dishes; accurately transcribe data based on Embryo Tech protocol assessments.
- Assist in training of new employees on sterilization procedures, culture dish preparation and embryo loading.
- Maintain sanitation and sterilization protocol for all materials and equipment used during lab routine.
- Actively participate in testing and process improvement initiatives as directed by Lab Coordinator.
- Follow established safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain organized work area and laminar flow hoods ensuring continuous availability to consumable and sterilized laboratory supplies, materials, culture dishes, pipettes, syringes, media solutions and documents.
- Train and mentor Prep Techs.
- Associates degree in Biology, Animal Science, or related field required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Previous course work within laboratory environment preferred.
- Experience in a laboratory or equivalent production environment preferred.
- Previous experiences using pipettes and stereo microscope required.
- Previous experience working for a company in the biotechnology and/or agriculture sector preferred.
- Ability to work varied shifts including weekends and holidays depending on production demand.
- Ability to follow detailed safety protocols as required during daily exposure to needles or other sharp objects, as well as, bodily fluids of beef and dairy cattle.
- Team-centric, detail-orientated, and highly organized.
- Solution-driven and determined to achieve production goals.
- Exceptional follow-through consistently demonstrating ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to interact with diverse cultures.
- Ability to speak English required, bilingual English/Portuguese beneficial.
With Kelly, you’ll have access to some of the world’s highest-regarded scientific organizations—providing you with opportunities to work on today’s most challenging, research-intensive, and relevant projects. Our connections can lead you to innovative scientific pursuits you’ll be proud to help advance. We work with 95 of the Fortune 100™ companies, and found opportunities for more than 11,000 scientific professionals last year.
You pursued a career in science to fuel your quest for knowledge and your desire to make the world a better place. Let Kelly fuel your career—connect with us today.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2016 was $5.3 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.