Supervisor, DDV Proposals
Location: Birmingham, AL
Supervisor, DDV Proposals
This position is primarily responsible for planning, organizing, writing and estimating the technical proposal activities for Government and Commercial clients requesting information or prices from the Drug Development Division (DDV).
- Lead proposal management team including writers, estimators and coordinator towards the goal of producing accurate, consistent and streamlined proposal submissions for DDV. In collaboration with the contracts group, ensure compliance of DDV proposals for bid readiness.
- Serve as proposal manager for government proposal efforts overseeing the required volumes.
- Research and gather technical and/or business information for use in proposal development activities. Uses familiarity with winning proposal concepts, practices and procedures along with solid writing methodologies to incorporate this information into technical proposal responses.
- Proposal Team Supervising
- Maintain clear instructions and communicate proposal process to the DDV team and other internal partnering teams. Host proposal workshops and disseminate instructions, as needed.
- Manage creating proposal library and maintaining updated information.
- Maintain standard templates for quote and proposal submissions in conjunction with Marketing.
- Maintain proposal filing system for use in creating a consistent location for each client’s information including documents for creating proposals, incoming RFPs, costing templates and final documents provided to clients.
- Track bid opportunities including past proposals submissions and those currently in progress.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the business unit’s past performance citations and implement a database for use in tracking study information.
- Supervise print production for hard copy RFP submissions.
- Create and maintain website content for DDV departments.
- Ensure proposal opportunities are input into Salesforce.com for tracking purposes.
- Continuously look for and implement improvements that drive process efficiencies in proposal submission.
- Proposal Management
- Participate in and/or coordinate Shipley’s Associates activities in creating responses to requests for proposals (RFPs), requests for information (RFI), and requests for quotes (RFQ). Ensure that proposal submissions are compliant with the applicable RFP or RFI instructions.
- Ensure proposal is assembled according to internal schedule, compliance matrix and RFP requirements.
- Proposal Writing
- Write or manage proposal staff writing each DDV proposal and review/edit commercial and government proposals prior to submission.
- Work with scientific and support staff across the organization to become familiar with technology and service offerings and incorporate that knowledge into writing/editing winning technical approach sections of proposals.
- Proposal Estimating
- Supervise proposal estimating activities including labor, materials and fees needed to provide accurate pricing to clients in conjunction with the Contracts department. Implement processes to maintain documentation for compliance including but not limited to biannual material updates, fee reviews and salary updates. Work with Operations to remain reflective of current scientific and administrative processes to accurately reflect study costs.
- BS degree in business
- 7 - 10 years of government and commercial proposal related work experience
- Experience in proposal writing, performing as a volume lead, managing review teams.
- Experience creating proposal libraries, performance databases, templates and maintaining these tools.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Creative technical and business writing as applies to winning proposal development.
- Solid time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines essential.
- Demonstrated skills in usage of MS Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Specific proposal writing training utilizing Shipley Associates methodologies is preferred.
- Working knowledge of MS Project and Salesforce or a similar CRM tool desired.